Saturday, June 27, 2009

Brene' Brown....

This definition of authenticity is by Brene' Brown, Ph.D. If you have never heard of her I highly recommend that you visit her website or blog (click on the "I live and love with my whole heart..." link on the right hand side of my blog). She often speaks of her journey to live authentically and soulfully - concepts that at one time I may have dismissed as too 'out there' or 'touchy feely', but that I am now trying to be mindful of in my own life. 

A bit of background on Brene':
Dr. Brené Brown is a writer, researcher, and educator. She is a member of the research faculty at the University of Houston Graduate College of Social Work where she has spent the past ten years studying connection - specifically authenticity, belonging, and shame, and the affect these powerful emotions have on the way we live, love, parent, work and build relationships.

Dr. Brown teaches graduate courses on shame and empathy, global justice, qualitative research, and women's issues. She has won numerous teaching awards, including the College's Outstanding Faculty Award. In 2008, Brené was named Behavioral Health Scholar-in-Residence at the Council on Alcohol and Drugs Houston. She also serves on the working board of The Nobel Women's Initiative - a peace and justice initiative established in 2006 by six Nobel Peace Laureates to help strengthen work being done in support of women's rights around the world.

Brené is the author of I Thought It Was Just Me (but it isn't): Telling the Truth About Perfectionism, Inadequacy, and Power (Gotham, 2007). She is also the author of Connections,a psycho-educational shame resilience curriculum that is being facilitated across the nation by mental health and addiction professionals. Dr. Brown's work has been featured on PBS and the Oprah and Friends Radio Network, and has appeared in Self Magazine, Elle Magazine and many national newspapers. She is also a frequent guest on radio shows across the US.

Her latest work focuses on the importance of nurturing authenticity, love and belonging, and a resilient spirit in our families, schools, and communities.


Brene has a number of links to her articles on her site. The one that I read today, that I found really interesting was titled "Voice Lessons from The Dixie Chicks".






1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this post- I have noticed her link on so many new blogs I have been visiting. I will check out her site. Sound great!

    ReplyDelete