Friday, June 4, 2010

9 Things I Have Learnt The Hard Way...

I was tagged by Katiegirl over at The Life and Times of an Ordinary Girl. So here's my list of 9 Things I Have Had to Learn The Hard Way:

Everything I need in order to have an amazing life already exists within me: Its taken me about 31 years to truly believe this one. I've always believed in myself to a certain extent but for the most part I was always looking for fulfillment and validation from other people and outside of myself. So many years of living in a torturous world of self-consciousness and doubt....... such a waste!

Everything is as it is meant to be, right now: I spent most of my life carrying around this feeling and thought in my head that 'something is wrong here'. Its how most of us are conditioned to think in our society. The problem is your view of life becomes one where you are always needing to fix or change something, rather than just 'being'. I've really tried to change my way of thinking over the past few years and I am now nowhere near as hell bent on trying to create this 'ideal' life (which of course doesn't exist!).

Life is now: Life is not some thing that will start when we get around to it, or when some circumstance changes, or when we get that certain job or buy that certain house etc. My head has been in the future (which is a place which doesn't really exist) and I have always been so concerned with getting to the next place that I didn't realise my life was actually passing me by. As soon as I learned to be present and to find joy in the simple things and to live each moment, my life completely changed (for the better).

I have the strength and courage to be able to handle whatever comes my way: It as taken some long periods and a battle with post natal depression to help me accept this one but its the greatest lesson I have learnt to date in my life. No matter how bad things may seem I will be able to get through it - such an empowering lesson!

You always have a choice: I am not locked in to any one way of being or thinking. At any moment I can be whoever I choose to be and do whatever I choose to do with my life. The only limiting factor is my own mind. My life has been great, don't get me wrong. But I feel I spent much of my 20's blindly going along without really stopping to find out or think about what I really want to do with this one precious life I have been given (or maybe I thought I knew who I was but really I didn't). As soon as I gave myself the space to work out who I really am and what I really want, my life really started.

I will never be tanned: My skin + sun = redness/sunburn and then thats pretty much it. Not worth the pain.

A Little one, plus Mummy's nice things don't mix: I've faced facts that I should not expect to have anything 'nice' in my house for at least the next 20 years. Every now and then I foolishly think I can leave something out and it will be ok - but it never is! Lucky he is so cute.....

So thats 7. I know I'm supposed to do 9 but its quite challenging. I will add the next 2 that I come up with as soon as they come to me!

Now its my turn to tag 3 people. I tagged Marisa over at Creative Thursday, Susannah at Susannah Conway and Lisa at Doorways Traveler. These are 3 amazingly inspiring women whose blogs I read religiously. If you haven't visited them yet I highly recommend you do!

4 comments:

  1. What an awesome list!

    I love seeing where people are at in life, because of the lessons they've learnt. Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great list. So true about the 'life is now' realisation and yet is one I always struggle with. It is so easy to slip into the 'when (insert random goal here) then all will be better'

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for a very true, inspiring post. I will be trying to get to 9 things, too...

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are fantastic lessons! The one I have to remember is - you always have a choice. It is so easy to forget that.

    ReplyDelete